Monday, October 15, 2007

Recent News from Kevin's Place

Kevin is enjoying his new school so far. He is still a little mad about the uniforms (can't understand why the teachers don't want the kids to be unique). Everyday I ask Kevin how his day was and he says "same as always, G-R-E-A-T." This is definately a step up from his daily answer last year which was "halfly good, halfly bad...cause the kids were noisy." He is making lots of new friends and really likes his teacher, Mrs. Patton.

You know, I really love the fact that Kevin is into science but he has hit a new exterme, for two reasons really. See the 10/14 Kevinism (at left) for the first reason. The second reason; as you may know, Kevin has become obsessed with Star Wars (yes, it is an obsession and I do not approve). So naturally, his first school library book was a Star Wars book. I suggested (strongly) on the next library day that he not come home with another Star Wars book. I reminded him how much he likes science books. So what does he come home with? A book about genes and DNA...seriously. Although it was a picture book, it was pretty advanced and in depth, I say at least high school level. So I am not sure which is worse, Star Wars or my 7 year old reading about fetal development, genetic engineering, and cloning. Oh boy, I just can't win. And for the record, when the next week's book was Star Wars again, I decided to let it slide.

Kevin is now a Cub Scout. I am still trying to adopt all this new scouting lingo and terminology but he is a Wolf scout this year. So we now have den meetings and pack meetings and all kinds of awesome activities to coming up. There is a campout this coming weekend with the whole pack (all ages in his school) and then his den (the Wolves only - 2nd graders) are going to the Firehouse Museum in Ypsi next Saturday. Should be good times. By the way, if you are interested in buying any popcorn, Kevin will be selling it though the end of the month. He will be happy to give you his sales pitch too.

No comments: